I rarely have visions of sugarplums dancing in my head. But I do love the special snacks available around the holidays and my favorites tend to include a mixture of savory and sweet.
Chex Party Mix is always one of my favorites and this year, Chex has introduced even more ways to enjoy the yummy, crunchy cereal. I never knew there are dozens of recipes on their site — everything from Chai Crunch to Chex® Cajun Kick to Chili-Lime Chex® Mix.
Here are just two holiday-themed ones that are perfect for that office party or to make and share with the neighbors. Just be sure to make extra for your family.
Gingerbread Chex® Mix
Makes 8 cups
3 cups Apple Cinnamon Chex® cereal
3 cups Wheat Chex® cereal
1 cup fancy mixed nuts
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup light molasses
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup chewy cinnamon candy
- In large microwaveable bowl, mix cereals and nuts; set aside. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or foil.
- In 2-cup microwaveable measuring cup, microwave butter until melted. Stir in brown sugar, molasses and spices uncovered on High about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until mixture is boiling; stir. Pour over cereals and nuts until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on High 3 to 4 minutes, stirring and scraping bowl every minute, or until cereal just begins to brown. Spread on waxed paper to cool, about 5 minutes. Stir in cinnamon candies. Store in airtight container.
Sugar Cookie Chex® Party Mix
6 cups Rice Chex® cereal
1.4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 ounce white baking chocolate or 1.4 cup vanilla milk chips
1-2 teaspoons colored edible glitter or sugar sprinkles
1. Measure cereal in large microwaveable bowl. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper or foil.
2. In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter uncovered on High 30 seconds or until melted. Add sugar and corn syrup; microwave uncovered on High 30 seconds until mixture is heated and can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
3. Microwave uncovered on High 2 minutes, stirring after1 minute. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; mix well.
4. Spread on waxed paper or foil. Microwave white chocolate on High 30 seconds or until it can be stirred smooth; drizzle over top; sprinkle with edible glitter or colored candies.
— Jan Schroder